Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bill Gates to get a knighthood?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bill Gates to get a knighthood?
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 00:50:27 +0000

On 2004-01-25 21:33:09 +0000 Philip Hunt <address@hidden> wrote:

While it could be argued that this doesn't matter, because a
knighthood is merely a symbolic title, I feel it is important
because people will tend to think of Gates in an undeservedly good light,
[...]

I doubt that. Every time a computer is crashed by his firm's software, the opposite seems to happen.

However, what does this have to do with us? Although you do not say it directly, I think you may want us to start some sort of campaign against this. I would rather we all spend time productively working on free software, campaigning against dodgy decisions on patenting and using the benefits it brings to highlight Gates's basic errors.

Please play the ball, not the man. If Gates does eradicate spam and viruses properly within two years, like he said on the news today, without removing yet more freedom, maybe he should have a knighthood. ;-)

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden