[Fsfe-uk] address@hidden: JISC DRM Workshop - Manchester Friday 14th May

From: Jim Peters
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] address@hidden: JISC DRM Workshop - Manchester Friday 14th May]
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:47:04 +0100

Apologies if this is old news or off-topic, but I received this
message with an open TO list (deleted below) with only about 30 names
on it, none of which I recognised.  If it really has been distributed
to so few people, I thought I should pass it around in case people
would like to get involved.

Incidentally, as far as I can see, DRM and open-source do not mix at
all well.  A DRM decoder would ideally be closed-source and run in the
most restrictive environment possible for the decoder design to meet
its objectives (which I'm assuming are to totally prevent the user
from accessing the content in ways not permitted by the DRM packagers,
whether those restrictions be fair and legal or otherwise).

But someone please correct me if I am missing something here --
e.g. if there are perhaps some forms of DRM which might be workable or
even perhaps useful in an open-source setting.

(I can't think of anything off the top of my head, except perhaps the
Creative Commons license tagging system which helps search engines and
programs recognise content that is legal to re-use, generally granting
freedoms instead of attempting to take them away; does this count as a
form of "DRM", though?)

Jim

----- Forwarded message from Ed Barker <address@hidden> -----