Re: [Fsfe-uk] address@hidden: JISC DRM Workshop - Manchester Friday 14th

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] address@hidden: JISC DRM Workshop - Manchester Friday 14th May]
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 17:25:56 +0100

On 2004-04-22 22:47:04 +0100 Jim Peters <address@hidden> wrote:

Incidentally, as far as I can see, DRM and open-source do not mix at
all well.  A DRM decoder would ideally be closed-source and run in the
most restrictive environment possible for the decoder design to meet
its objectives

Supposedly closed decoders for sat-tv seem to get cracked fairly regularly. I suspect strength of the encryption is more critical once it's non-stupid. Things like modularity are also important, to allow the "arms race" to continue in the face of more computer power.

programs recognise content that is legal to re-use, generally granting
freedoms instead of attempting to take them away; does this count as a
form of "DRM", though?)

I think so, although people normally mean "Digital Rights *Restrictions by Technology*" (DRRT, pronounced "dirt") rather than rights management when they write DRM. Here, they explicitly say they want to cover all of it. Things like the Copyright headers in package files or archive sections of some GNU-Linux distributions are probably also really forms of DRM, making licensing easier to manage.

We are holding a workshop on Friday, 14th May from 10.30 - 3.30 at Manchester University
[...]
The Digital Rights Management Study (DRM) is part of the JISC's "Middleware and Shared Services Studies" programme (http://www.jisc.ac.uk/index.cfm?name=prog_middss_studies).