Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: ECF/ESF

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: ECF/ESF
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 12:23:58 +0100

MJ Ray wrote:

On 2004-10-09 20:43:12 +0100 Stuart A Yeates <address@hidden> wrote:

[http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/whysource.xml]

It may be worth making the next paragraph: "Here are six good uses _of this sort of source code access for_ non-programmers."

A few other details (apologies if somebody already mentioned these, I missed part of this thread):

- translation: could the very specific mentions of 'students' be replaced with some more general term (eg. end users) - Customisation: '.. can only be customised ways ...' - missing the word 'in' - Bug fixes: '... and make the software available to them...' : not quite clear who 'them' is: could this be something like
'obtain a version of the software'.
- Security: is it worth mentioning Trojans and back doors as well as bugs? Sounds a bit paranoid, but there have been
cases, and it is important for security.
- Freedom of use: I guess this is technically correct but it skates over the case where the free software in question comes
with a service agreement which is limited by number of seats.
   +Also, should it be 'run ON any machine'?
   +Might it be worth mention the possibility of porting between systems?

Cheers
Graham