Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: ECF/ESF

From: Ian Lynch
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: ECF/ESF
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 14:00:37 +0100

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 13:40, Chris Croughton wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 11:27:52AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
>
> > It irritates me when supposedly freedom-minded people use the failed
> > US trademark term "Open Source" instead of "free software", "free
> > media" or similar terms. Are they scared to speak about freedom?
>
> To most of the people I talk to about computers, excepting the
> already-converted GNU/Linux/etc. geeks, "free software" and "free media"
> mean free as in "free beer" and nothing else.

I use FLOSS. Shorthand for Free Libre Open Source Software. Some people
abbrieviate to Open Source, I can live withthat but I tend to use FLOSS
when explaining to newbies. Also made a good Acronym for the FLOSSIE
conference and spawned FLOSSIE the Sheep - an unusual sheep because
FLOSSIE broke from the herd to express her individuality :-)
--
Ian Lynch <address@hidden>
ZMS Ltd