Re: [Fsfe-uk] Open Source Consortium

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Open Source Consortium
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:55:42 +0000

MJ Ray wrote:

On 2004-12-23 21:11:40 +0000 Alex Hudson <address@hidden> wrote:

We are not "officially" in contact with them, but a number of our
committee work for companies who are participating.

Yours. Who else, out of interest?

I'm intending to join but find their general approach (as shown on the website) so off-putting I keep putting it off. But the idea seems a good one. Would creating a 'free software consortium' be totally negative and pointlessly disruptive, or would it be a natural division of the marketplace? Nearly all (but not quite all) the companies listed talk about themselves as doing 'open source' rather than 'free software'. Maybe there is an equally long list of other companies who develop free software, rather than just migrating organisations to open source, which is what the osc site describes?

A semi-related question: as I understand it the osc are supposed to give small companies the advantages of size by grouping them so they might realistically be able to go for government contracts. Has anybody with a little company managed to get themselves registered on S-CAT (http://www.s-cat.gov.uk/) in spite of not being part of a consortium, or is it really necessary to be big?

Happy christmas
Graham