Re: [Fsfe-uk] Another positive development

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Another positive development
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 00:01:13 +0000

address@hidden wrote:

see extract from this weeks Education Guardian extolling open source school:~
 http://education.guardian.co.uk/elearning/story/0,10577,1387167,00.html

Yes, I saw that, but...

  The VLE is from Frontier, a
Norwegian e-learning company and is an open source, web-based solution
which can cater for a variety of electronic formats.

I can't find the slightest trace of this open source VLE anywhere. I believe it should be 'fronter', not 'frontier' (see fronter.info/com). They seem to be listed in a lot of places as 'open source' but don't appear to mention this on their own web site; as far as I can tell, this is either not open source, or open source but under a proprietary license (ie. you have to buy a license before you get to see it at all).
Graham

There are plans
for federation members to link in to Crossways network, once the
school's infrastructure has been upgraded.  In the future virtual
lessons on the VLE or through video conferencing will be piloted in
minority subjects or for gifted and talented students.
Contact:
Crossways Academy http://www.crossways.ac.uk
Frontier http://frontier.info/com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ In a message dated 16/01/2005 20:22:08 GMT Standard Time, address@hidden writes:

    On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 15:44 +0000, Graham Seaman wrote:

    > If school users want to follow up Ruth Kelly's suggestion is it
    actually
    > easy for them to do?

    If they already know something about it, if not... :(

    One of the problems is that schools run a wider range of
    legacy apps than any other type of organisation.
    However it's happening in other countries, where there
    is the political will.
    btw Four years ago I found a primary school in mid-Wales
    running entirely Free Software on the desktop. They were
    having no problems, and didn't feel themselves to be
    particularly unusual :)

    >  Or is there a huge market/marketing opportunity
    > for free software being missed?

    Yes, but not by us. We've been banging on to government
    and schools about this for years. However others have
    louder voices, so it seems to take us some time to
    start to get through :-/

    Ian (Lynch) seems quite optimistic that things are changing
    - let's hope he's right :)

    Feel free to join AFFS' campaign to get Free Software into
    schools =o)

    - Richard

    --
    Four years ago:
    https://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/05/Linux_For_Schools.pdf

    HM government last year:
    http://www.publicservice.co.uk/pdf/cg/8/CG8%201704%20R%20Smedley%20ATL%
    20Amen.pdf

    Recent educational moves:
    see Linux Pro, 9/04 (with LXF 57) -

http://www.schoolforge.org.uk/index.php/June-October_2004#We.27re_in_the_Press.21

    AFFS and education
    http://www.affs.org.uk/education/index.html

    Grants for Free Software development in the UK
    (write some software for schools):
    http://www.affs.org.uk/grants/