Re: [Fsfe-uk] bsa against open standard definition

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] bsa against open standard definition
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 15:07:30 +0000

On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 14:56 +0000, Robin Green wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 01:17:12PM +0000, Graham Seaman wrote:
> > Apparently the BSA are complaining to the EU about the new standards
> > definition
> > including royalty-free use as a precondition.
> >
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/18/bsa_open_standard/
>
> I'm not sure why they give DHCP as an example of something that is not
> a royalty-free standard, given that the specification is freely
> available as an RFC and it even has open source implementations.
> There are vendor extensions, but it is misleading to say DHCP would not be
> in accordance with these new European Commission guidelines, surely.

I must have been half asleep when I sent the first mail in this thread -
I saw (and wrote) 'BSA' but for some reason what popped into my head was
'BCS'. Well , of course the BSA are against open standards and open
source - it's their raison d'etre. Doh. And logical arguments aren't
something I'd really expect from them, either.

Graham