Re: [Fsfe-uk] bsa against open standard definition

From: Robin Green
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] bsa against open standard definition
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 14:56:17 +0000

On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 01:17:12PM +0000, Graham Seaman wrote:
> Apparently the BSA are complaining to the EU about the new standards
> definition
> including royalty-free use as a precondition.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/18/bsa_open_standard/

I'm not sure why they give DHCP as an example of something that is not
a royalty-free standard, given that the specification is freely
available as an RFC and it even has open source implementations.
There are vendor extensions, but it is misleading to say DHCP would not be
in accordance with these new European Commission guidelines, surely.

--
Robin