Re: [Fsfe-uk] ITSafe: IT Security Awareness For Everyone

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] ITSafe: IT Security Awareness For Everyone
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:05:28 +0000

MJ Ray wrote:

Stuart wrote:
http://www.itsafe.gov.uk/
Despite the motto "IT Security Awareness For Everyone" at the moment
only Windows is supported and UNIX/Linux are only referred to in the
past tense.

Even if they are only supporting windows, it seems crazy for them not to mention firefox, thunderbird, or open office as more secure alternatives to MS software. Their 'howtos' are basically 'howto use microsoft tools' only. Still, at least they have a handy feedback form...

Graham

This is in depressing agreement with the theory of "new
enclosures" that I heard at the European Social Forum. When
a government endorses a monopoly, it will often get involved
in doing that monopoly's work for it. I'm told this has been
seen in tax-based licensing of biotech in South America. Here,
we're seeing the UK government distributing only security
information for Microsoft systems and defaming Unix and
Linux. Doing Microsoft's work for them.

Feeding the site to tidy or validator.w3.org is also depressing,
which is how I first heard of it, but didn't really pick up this
aspect. I assumed that they hadn't linked in all services yet,
not that it was launching supporting only Microsoft Windows!