Re: [Fsfe-uk] Health Service departments unable to read AbiWord attachme

From: Joran_H
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Health Service departments unable to read AbiWord attachments
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:28:41 +0000

On Tuesday 08 March 2005 11:34 pm, Ian Lynch wrote:
> If there is to be any standard data format that will displace .doc for
> E-mail attachments it will be the Open Document Format of OASIS and OOo.
> In principle, the more FLOSS apps that adopt it and support it the more
> likley it will become accepted. If AbiWord maintains its own format its
> very unlikely that anyone other than Abiword users will know or care
> what it is. We need to put energy into battles we can win.

http://gnomedesktop.org/node/2160#comment-35567

Abiword can import and export OASIS - I would recommend all AbiWord users
start using it, if not for storing their documents on their machines, at
least for transfer of documents.  If OASIS could become a de facto standard
interchange format as well as a well-defined standard, document interchange
would surely become less hassle-bound.

--
Martyn Ranyard