Re: [Fsfe-uk] Health Service departments unable to read AbiWord attachme

From: Chris Croughton
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Health Service departments unable to read AbiWord attachments
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 22:55:17 +0000

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 09:33:56PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 03:52:45PM +0000, Chris Croughton wrote:
> >
> > (In fact, if the person is trying to cooperate I'll do a lot to try to
> > accomodate them, including recently attempting to reverse engineer the
> > frmat and write an extraction program.  But if they just send me some
> > odd format with no explanation I'm not likely to try as hard...)
> >
> antiword / unrtf are your friends :)

Indeed.  This was an odd Lotus 123 format, though, one which I couldn't
find anywhere (the extension was .123, but even MS Excel wouldn't touch
it, nore any of several other programs which claimed Lotus 123 import
capability).  Eventually the person sent me copies in all of the formats
their program would export and I found one (I don't remember which now)
that I could get OOo to read.

(In the extreme, I'd have had him read it to me over the phone, we
didn't have enough time for him to send me a printout by snail-mail...)

Chris C