copy of a Reply to Ian Lynch Re: [Fsfe-uk] AbiWord

From: John Seago
Subject: copy of a Reply to Ian Lynch Re: [Fsfe-uk] AbiWord
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 22:17:52 +0000

On Wednesday 09 Mar 2005 19:57, Ian Lynch wrote:
> I agree they need informing, but probably in a way they understand.
> Direct them to the E-gif policy of the government's E-envoy office. This
> says that .doc should not be used for website downloads etc especially
> when there is no need to edit the document.

Thank you that was the information I needed. I have looked at the Gnome
office site and AbiWord has the export filters for :
    * DocBook (XML DTD only)
    * XHTML 1.0
    * LaTeX
    * Palm (PDB)
    * RTF (including RTF for older applications)
    * TXT
    * UTF8
    * WML
    * GZipped AbiWord
    * Psion Word and Text documents.

Is the RTF mentioned above the Same RTF mentioned by Chris Croughton?
> Plain text, HTML, possibly RTF and PDF, are about the
> only ones for which there is near-universal support (MSWord DOC on
> Windows platforms, but not all of those and fewer Mac ones).
If so should I have done something to the attachment to make it readable?
--
John Seago
GNU/Linux User #219566 http://counter.li.org