Re: [Fsfe-uk] Patent Workshop in Bolton

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Patent Workshop in Bolton
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:30:32 +0000

Sam wrote:
> Anyone going to the "technical effect" patent workshop in Bolton next
> Thursday?

I will be going to the Coventry one. I will take prints of Section 1 of
the Patent Act 1977 and Article 52 of the European Patent Convention
for reference. Both are online:

I'd quite like a flier based on contrasting

"If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the
shoulders of giants."
                -- Isaac Newton
    and
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing
on my shoulders."
                -- Hal Abelson

(taken from a fortune db; I think you can guess which I think swpat
encourages) but I don't think I'll have time to make one. What else
should I take with me? I think I'm lacking good detail on the idea/
expression boundary that usually crops up with patent/copyright.

What's a good background summary of this "technical effect"
debate?

--
MJR