[Fsfe-uk] govt standards development contracted out

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] govt standards development contracted out
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 09:30:51 +0000

http://www.publictechnology.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=2626

Is it just me, or is this the most bizarre thing - if the government contracts out the development of standards to someone like EDS then surely they can define them in such a way as to rule out whoever they chose (in particular, anything but proprietary solutions (eg. 'to comply with the standard software must interact with exchange')). According to the story the ODPM is actually offering the explicit carrot that 'The successful provider would have the opportunity to develop a membership base across local authorities, their partners and suppliers', ie. that this is a license for them to create a closed source of work for them and their chums forever more.

I can't believe my interpretation can be right; is it, and if so how on earth can they justify it?

Graham