Re: [Fsfe-uk] govt standards development contracted out

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] govt standards development contracted out
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 22:34:53 +0000

Simon Waters wrote:

Robin Green wrote:

| in general the principle of outsourcing technical work to the private
| sector makes some kind of sense, because public sector employers can have
| difficulty attracting employees with the range of experience that you
might find
| at a good private sector IT provider.

Pay a third party X + Profit + N, so they can pay their staff more (X+N)
than you pay yours (X), and outsource the interesting new stuff, and
wonder why your inhouse IT staff are demoralised and leaving in droves.

Yes, but in this case I'm not complaining about the general issue of outsourcing (which is so entrenched it's not going to be reversed in a hurry) but about the
idea of giving ownership of the standards to a particular company:

"it will administer and develop a system known as Custodian, which acts as a national repository for local e-government standards" (http://www.kablenet.com/kd.nsf/Frontpage/607591EEF0AF6E6080256FC6004283FD?OpenDocument)

How much do you want to bet Custodian will be accessible to approved suppliers only on payment of a large fee? That would permanently lock all small free software suppliers out of local government contracts. This is not just one contract like others, it could be the KEY contract which decides all the others. The 'seamless' taxonomy was going that way until it was merged with eGMS; once standards development is outsourced it becomes the 'obvious' way to finance it. Imagine if the W3C outsourced its standards development work to a single large company; how much chance would there be for free software to survive
in web applications?

In reality you usually need skilled IT inhouse after the projects are
finished, my Aunt worked at a hopsital where the inhouse IT staff had no
idea how the main admin system worked, so every little fault had to
accumulate till they could justify a 1000GBP for a day of "fixes" from
the consultancy (Cap Gemini I believe), and these weren't rocket science
type fixes.

And if the admin system had been open source they could have had a chance of looking for someone cheaper than Cap Gemini to fix it. Making these applications closed source is disastrous for everyone; all government developed apps should be open source to
stop this kind of lock-in.

Graham