[Fsfe-uk] Computer Misuse Act 1990 (Amendment) and forthcoming elections

From: MJ Ray
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Computer Misuse Act 1990 (Amendment) and forthcoming elections
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 09:29:53 +0100

Amendments to the CMA were introduced yesterday
(5 April) as a "10-minute rule" bill. The
transcript is available online in Hansard at
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200405/cmhansrd/cm050405/debtext/50405-15.htm#50405-15_head0

The biggest changes are to add specific offences for denial
of service and to up all punishments so that the UK can
apply for extradition.  It started with work by the All-Party
Internet Group, whose web site is at http://www.apig.org.uk/
- I understand the bill will now be lost in the "washed up"
work and the news got rather lost in the announcement of the
general election.

Personally, I feel that the broken position on swpat is more
important to ask your Parliamentary Candidates (as wannabe-MPs
are known). If you're in an area with county council elections,
you could also ask them about using locally-supported free
software and whether they support e-Government Interop (e-GIF).

I'd welcome ideas (probably best sent to the fsfe-uk@ list).

--
Thanks and happy voting,

MJR/slef