Re: [Fsfe-uk] Open-source developers "see no problem" with s/w patents ?

From: Neil Darlow
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Open-source developers "see no problem" with s/w patents ??
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 14:04:43 +0100

Hi James,

James Heald wrote:
> Anybody heard of leading open-source developers going round reassuring
> people that they're fireproof ?

To my knowledge, the opposite is true. The, timely, arrival of Linux
User and Developer through my letterbox this morning made reference to
an open letter signed by noted free software names voicing their
disapproval at the powers-that-be within OASIS who are leaning towards
permitting of software patents in their standards.

I can't imagine any sane free/open source software developer would be in
 favour of software patents. This sounds like another piece of pro-swpat
rhetoric "invented" to sway the less knowledgeable.

Regards,
Neil Darlow
--
Anti-virus scanned by ClamAV-0.83 - http://www.clamav.net