[Fsfe-uk] Re: Proposed roadmap

From: mark
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Proposed roadmap
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 07:57:22 -0400

Hi Tom,
I think you are aiming for an "ideal" solution. From my (admittedly limited) experience of AFFS there is little possibility of a broad consensus amongst members on a large number of issues surrounding free software. There have obviously been recent problems amongst members of the AFFS committee. In practical terms, and based on my experience in other walks of life I would have to agree with John Seago's assessment, especially when he writes:-

"However it does
need the Committee to follow the usual proceedures and put up with the
inconvenience of holding regular meetings, and keeping accurate and
complete minutes of those meetings, available at the very latest one week
after the meeting to both the members and the Committee, otherwise, at the
very least, those at the meeting will be unable to remember what actualy
happened. Only in really exceptional circumstances should those minutes
not be freely available to the members, (as any business conducted by the
Committee is conducted on behalf of the members)."

There is no reason in my view why AFFS members who are unable to attend meetings should not be able to vote on certain issues, and even for election of committee members. This could be done either online or by post. It also needs committee members who are able to organize this sufficiently well that everybody is kept onboard. If the committee members can get to the point where somebody stands up in an AFFS meeting, fully cognisant of the AFFS minuting and procedures, and says something like "I'd like to say something off the record...." and then proceeds to outline a piece of hearsay, or their knowledge on a controversial topic, then you will know that the system is working as it reasonably should. In my experience these moments are often what makes going to the meeting worthwhile. Conversely, if somebody says something controversial and then says "make sure my comments are recorded correctly in the minutes" the AFFS committee should have procedures in place to make sure this happens. It may also be desirable to record peoples' attendance, or absence, at the meetings that are held. I was disappointed to read that Nick Veitch has not renewed his subscription. If he is still reading these emails then he might like to suggest areas where AFFS should concentrate and improve it's efforts in the future, and possibly attract him back.
Regards,
Mark