Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fw: IP Charter debate

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fw: IP Charter debate
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 23:19:00 +0100

MJ Ray wrote:

>Not sure what I think about this. How about you?

The list of people involved is seriously impressive:
http://www.ipcharter.org/group.asp

but in spite of the fact that I think many are admirable as individuals
- and have a long track record, they're not band-wagon jumpers - I can't
help feeling that the agenda that has built up round them is not
complementary to the FSF's, but alternative. And that in some ways I
agree with the FSF more than them; in other ways they are clearly in the
right, but the emerging gulf is in large part a fault of the FSF's
tactics, and rms's refusal until quite recently to consider anything
outside software seriously. So we have for example John Sulston
apparently following Lessig/Love's agenda etc.

rms would actually be about the only person of similar stature we have -
but he clearly couldn't be part of this organisation.

I'd like to discuss this topic more, but don't know whether this is the
right list!?

Graham