Re: [Fsfe-uk] M$ jump on the poverty bandwagon

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] M$ jump on the poverty bandwagon
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 16:39:49 +0100

Martyn <address@hidden> wrote:
> Is it just me, or did it rile anyone else that Mr Gates appeared on Live8?

Yep. I'm not usually a Microsoft-basher, but I was ranting at that one.
How much money has that guy made out of Africa? How much like a drug
pusher are their marketing tactics - cheap now, to get them hooked?
How many fair trade and competition laws has that corporation
opposed, along with its friends in the US federal government?

If you saw Bill Gates's appearance at the World Economic Forum this
year, it's pretty obviously all PR. Why have him? It's not like
there's a shortage of software developers who are actually giving
support to Africa. Oh well, I hope Bill paid well for the ad time!
On BBC2, Jonathan Ross was a bit rude about Windows afterwards.

To help directly, see FOSS Foundation Africa http://www.fossfa.net/
and of course http://www.live8live.com/ - and no matter where you
are, this coming Thursday 7 July at 13:45, you could use free
software to help FoE by sounding a climate alarm to the G8
http://www.foe-scotland.org.uk/nation/g8_alarm_sound.html - not
much use sorting trade out if we drown instead - anyone suggest
a good freely-usable alarm sound clip?

--
MJ Ray (slef), K. Lynn, England, email see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/