[Fsfe-uk] Re: M$ jump on the poverty bandwagon

From: Mark Preston
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Re: M$ jump on the poverty bandwagon
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 23:46:52 -0400

James wrote:
>To be fair to him, he has put his money where his mouth is http://i-newswire.com/pr34487.html

I agree with James. If the article below
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2099-1673295_1,00.html
is to be believed it appears that Bill Gates is just as likely to be found reading about immunology as software nowadays. In his book "Who Says Elephants Can't Dance?" Louis V. Gerstner Jr., former CEO of IBM is quoted as wanting to beat the competition and phrases such as "beating the stuffing " out of someone and "ripping off their face" are used by him. This shows the hard side of corporate American 'culture', and no doubt Microsoft has succeeded in this environment. Just as the pop stars who appeared on Live8 would presumably be unhappy to consider abolishing or shortening music copyright laws for the common good, I presume Bill Gates would still be unhappy about having to "open source" Windows, or reduce the onerous terms of his various software licences.

Regards,
Mark