Re: [Fsfe-uk] Hosting for Sixth Form College student Wordpress install

From: A. S. Bradbury
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Hosting for Sixth Form College student Wordpress install
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 12:06:52 +0100

On Wednesday 28 September 2005 22:52, MJ Ray wrote:
> I'm happy that you're wanting to use GPL'd free software
> for this.  Where is the college and have you tried asking any
> local LUG?  There's a listing at www.lug.org.uk or you might
> find other people at news:uk.comp.os.linux

Worcester. There is a Worcester LUG listed, but it doesn't seem to be active
at the moment. Is it bad form to reply to multiple people in the same email?
My instinct is it may not be so great, but then sending multiple messages to
the same thread in succession also seems a bit weird.

On Wednesday 28 September 2005 23:10, bug-gnu-chess-owner wrote:
> I have a virtual server, which I can stick another website if it is low
> volume.

Your offer is kind, but we really wouldn't want to inconvenience anyone with
tight resources. Also, the ideal solution would be hosting with either a
friendly hosting company or on a server for an interested organisation.

On Wednesday 28 September 2005 23:15, Clive Menzies wrote:
> I'm not sure whether this will help but we've been evaluating content
> management systems for a client; we installed and tried plone,
> PHPwebsite, drupal and joomla (from the ex-mambo developers).  Long
> story short, we're recommending Joomla for a variety of reasons; when
> looking at hosting, we came across http://www.netshinesoftware.com who
> seem close to the joomla project.  Netshine offers competitive hosting
> and may see supporting you as a worthwhile PR exercise ultimately
> expanding their userbase.
>
> Joomla would be an ideal platform on which to build your student
> newspaper.

I certainly haven't counted Joomla out of the running. I am drawn to the
simplicity of Wordpress however, Drupal/Joomla certainly has a lot of
features, but as I would aim to focus as much as possible on the stories and
comments, I'm not sure whether it would be suitable. I'll be sure to look in
to it in more detail though. Thankyou.

On Friday 30 September 2005 00:58, Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> Depending on how much speed you need, it may be simpler to just host
> from a box connected to ADSL or Cable Modem. Failing that, where are you
> in the country - it may be possible that I can help you out (email me
> off list if you want that!)

The problem is with that is it puts a lot of responsibility on someone to keep
their server and connection up. My connection certainly isn't suitable, and I
wouldn't feel confident in saying that the server will stay online and
working.

Thankyou for all your input, I'm sorry for the delayed response. Any more
ideas or suggestions are warmly welcomed.

Regards,
Alex