Re: [Fsfe-uk] Hosting for Sixth Form College student Wordpress install

From: Clive Menzies
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Hosting for Sixth Form College student Wordpress install
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 13:31:44 +0100

On (01/10/05 12:06), A. S. Bradbury wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 September 2005 23:15, Clive Menzies wrote:
> > I'm not sure whether this will help but we've been evaluating content
> > management systems for a client; we installed and tried plone,
> > PHPwebsite, drupal and joomla (from the ex-mambo developers).  Long
> > story short, we're recommending Joomla for a variety of reasons; when
> > looking at hosting, we came across http://www.netshinesoftware.com who
> > seem close to the joomla project.  Netshine offers competitive hosting
> > and may see supporting you as a worthwhile PR exercise ultimately
> > expanding their userbase.
> >
> > Joomla would be an ideal platform on which to build your student
> > newspaper.
>
> I certainly haven't counted Joomla out of the running. I am drawn to the
> simplicity of Wordpress however, Drupal/Joomla certainly has a lot of
> features, but as I would aim to focus as much as possible on the stories and
> comments, I'm not sure whether it would be suitable. I'll be sure to look in
> to it in more detail though. Thankyou.

I am a governor of a local comprehensive school and it seems that there
is funding available for ICT in education; for us a good source seems to be
London Grid for Learning.  Why not contact your LEA and see what they
can offer?

I am sure that there is support available for student led initiatives
somewhere.
You might also explore OSSWatch:
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk

Good luck