Re: [Fsfe-uk] Hilariously bad UKPO software patent decision

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Hilariously bad UKPO software patent decision
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 13:20:56 +0000

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 13:15 +0000, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> It's hard to pick a worst part, but I think this one is mine:
>
>  "The invention was almost certainly made at a much earlier stage in the
>   creative process, before any computer program had been written (or
>   flowcharts generated) with a view to implementing the invention."
>
> What has the time of implementation got to do with whether the idea is
> patentable?

Oh, oh, I understand this. You'll love this.

In deciding whether or not an invention relates to a "computer program,
as such", they look at when the invention is conceived. If it isn't done
when you're writing the program, clearly the invention doesn't relate to
a computer program.

I believe that's roughly how the logic works, anyway.

And yes, I enjoyed that passage too :D