Re: [Fsfe-uk] Java licensing

From: Sam Liddicott
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Java licensing
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:15:07 +0000

Alex Hudson wrote:
On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 16:46 +0100, Philippe Laporte wrote:

Do you guys have an opinion as to whether an Open Source Java VM
should be licensed as GPL vs LGPL and linking issues?

Do you have an example of the kind of problem you think would arise?

In general, I think the LGPL is a pretty tough license to stick to -

I would be interested to hear your reasons for thinking this.
it's a lot easier to fulfil the terms of the GPL.
Surely the only management difference with the LGPL is that you share less source.
If your changes are minimal you can probably submit them back to the project maintainer.
Most other obligations of the GPL happen naturally if you don't interfere with the build tools.

Sam