Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: OS in schools

From: Ian Lynch
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: OS in schools
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 10:44:39 +0100

On Sun, 2006-10-15 at 09:43 +0100, Donald Williams wrote:
> I read the comments on OS in Welsh schools and certainly agree with
> backing up/advising/supporting those efforts at local level - but it
> seems to me that the issue of "binding-in-to-Microsoft" is so well
> embedded and all the way down from No 10 (and you can't get much lower
> than that!) that it might be politically useful (pragmatically, not
> necessarily philosophically!) to get the Greens on board sufficiently to
> make contesting it an election issue - a national one.
>
> I have, though, spent many years scrapping in the "community" world and
> am extremely wary of the do-goody, chinese-water-torture technique.
> Someone's got to get a bit cross. Angry even?
>
> Geographically-concentrated groups (LondonLUG?) might be able/want to
> mount a "boycott microsoft" campaign at particular sites/shops - in
> Tottenham Court Road, inter alia

Why nor boycott the Government for being anti-FOSS and mismanaging IT in
the public sector? Plenty of evidence. Target a marginal seat of some
minister or other in the NHS and Education. There is an election coming
up with a Government with a dwindling majority. Directly targeting
politicians at the ballot box is more likely to have an effect than
anti-MS tactics.

Ian
--
www.theINGOTS.org