Re: [Fsfe-uk] Explanation of Tivosiation and problems - comments sought

From: rob
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Explanation of Tivosiation and problems - comments sought
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 13:50:37 +0000

Quoting Chris Croughton <address@hidden>:

It seems to me that banning locks is itself anticompetitive behaviour.

It is anti-anti-competitive behaviour. A ban on bans would not lead to more
bans. ;-)

If someone wants to make a locked PC, I simply won't buy it, I'll buy
one which isn't locked.

They are *sold* unlocked. But Vista can activate the locks for you if you like.

As far as I have heard no one is passing a law
that there must be locks on all computer hardware.

No such law is required. Intel and Microsoft have taken it on themselves to add
the locks.

If they did then
businesses would see such a rise in costs that it would quickly kill the
economy, because they gain by using 3rd-party software far more than
they'd lose by not having locks.

Surely the existence of DRM would reduce costs to businesses as it would reduce
theft? ;-)

Having screws on the outside is not comparable to having the source of a
program.  The latter is equivalent to supplying the Haynes manual plus a
full box of spare parts...

Having the source of the program is equivalent to owning the car. Not having the
source is equivalent to calling a taxi.

- Rob.