Re: [Fsfe-uk] Interview: Ashley Highfield on BBC's DRM'd iPlayer

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Interview: Ashley Highfield on BBC's DRM'd iPlayer
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:57:30 +0000

Ciaran O'Riordan <address@hidden> wrote:
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20071118205358171
[...]
> Maybe some of you here know more about the topic and could contribute to the
> discussion here or on Groklaw.  I'm certainly interested.

I just *love* the phrase "we got quite a lot of unsolicited user
feedback on this" and will probably recycle it in future.

But, as someone wrote elsewhere, Windows v MacOS v Linux is missing
the point a bit. The BBC should not be doing the modern equivalent of
"you must buy a Samsung TV to watch us" - DRM/TPM.  The BBC should be
using open standards and be involved in developing them where
appropriate.  It's done this many times before (DVB and Ceefax to name
two of my favourites) and still gets a lot of praise for those past
successes.

My previous comments on this topic (one of which includes the above):
http://mjr.towers.org.uk/blog/2007/badtech.html#iplayerbbctc
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2007/11/linux_figures_1.html#c3918791
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2007/11/linux_figures_1.html#c3991340
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2007/11/open_standards.html#c3998107