Re: [Fsfe-uk] Interview: Ashley Highfield on BBC's DRM'd iPlayer

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Interview: Ashley Highfield on BBC's DRM'd iPlayer
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 15:05:57 +0000

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 14:57 +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Ciaran O'Riordan <address@hidden> wrote:
> > http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20071118205358171
> [...]
> > Maybe some of you here know more about the topic and could contribute to the
> > discussion here or on Groklaw.  I'm certainly interested.
>
> I just *love* the phrase "we got quite a lot of unsolicited user
> feedback on this" and will probably recycle it in future.

Isn't that a fair comment? I would expect the vast majority of stuff
they do/say gets virtually no feedback whatsoever.

> But, as someone wrote elsewhere, Windows v MacOS v Linux is missing
> the point a bit. The BBC should not be doing the modern equivalent of
> "you must buy a Samsung TV to watch us" - DRM/TPM.

Indeed. And it's a step back from the previous BBCi Broadband service,
which I think has shut down now, but was a DRM-less system which
effectively broadcast over the internet to UK residents only. That could
be broadcast using a free(r) codec and would still prevent foreign
viewing.