Re: [Fsfe-uk] Renting GPL software

From: Lee Braiden
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Renting GPL software
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 21:00:20 +0000

Hi Jon,

On Saturday 12 January 2008 20:45:33 Jon Grant wrote:
> If i go into a web-cafe and go online and use Firefox on KDE desktop
> is anyone obliged to offer me the source code? I've only rented 15mins
> of online time afterall.

They have distributed the software to the public-facing machine, so it's much
the same as any other distribution to the public, I think.  Presumably, the
only reason you don't hear of this issue much is that it's widely accepted
that any two people in the same room should happily share free software
between themselves.

The Affero license would make this a requirement even if you're providing that
software remotely over the web, as I understand things.  So, if you even gave
someone access to Firefox through a remote desktop connection, you would be
obliged to provide them with the source code.... if my position is correct ;)

--
Lee Braiden
http://peaceforge.org

Lake shadows color of cold,