Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund

From: Jon Grant
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 12:49:02 +0000

Hi Noah,

Thanks for the reply.

On 17/01/2008, Noah Slater <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 09:55:10PM +0000, Jon Grant wrote:
> > Anyone know if it is possible to get a refund for Apple's Mac OS X..?
> > I'd love to buy one of their "Air" laptops if there is a way to get it
> > pre-loaded with GNU+Linux or a refund... got a USB stick with Kubuntu
> > ready to go.. ;)
>
> My advice is don't bother.

Lot's of good points. Perhaps I should stick with my Nokia 770, or buy
an Asus Eee! (if I really need a keyboard), although personally I
think I need at least a normal sized keyboard (27 cm width of laptop),
which allows up to a 12" wide-screen diagonal.

> Finally, and most importantly for me, or at least, this was the final
> straw on the camels back which made me vow never to purchase Apple
> again so long as I might live:
>
>  1) When my PSU exploded one night (!) (yes, things like this do
>     happen to computers after a while, so you may as well plan for the
>     eventuality) it took out my PowerMac's mainboard. I had to take
>     this to the Genius Bar (in Sheffield!) to have it fixed with
>     Apples proprietary hardware, this being my only option. It cost me
>     close to 600 pounds to replace the PSU and mainboard.

I had a Hyper PSU start burning before, it never cut the power and
burnt my floppy drive cable to a crisp. Lucky I was in the room to
pull the plug out of the wall.

> If I had been using a standard computer, lets compare prices:
>
>  http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Components/cat/Motherboards-Intel
>  http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Components/cat/Power-Supplies
>
> Motherboard, average cost about 80 quid?
> Motherboard, average cost about 50 quid?

Good point. I'd never buy from ebuyer though, their customer service
is too shoddy, like I found when I purchased from OverclockersUK
(Scan, Dabs and Dell are the only ones I trust in the UK)

Cheers, Jon