Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund

From: Jon Grant
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 12:56:27 +0000

Hi Dave,

On 17/01/2008, Dave Crossland <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 17/01/2008, Noah Slater <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 09:55:10PM +0000, Jon Grant wrote:
> > > Anyone know if it is possible to get a refund for Apple's Mac OS X..?
> > > I'd love to buy one of their "Air" laptops if there is a way to get it
> > > pre-loaded with GNU+Linux or a refund... got a USB stick with Kubuntu
> > > ready to go.. ;)
>
> You'd make major primetime TV network news if you get them to preload
> GNU+Linux or even get a refund :-) You would probably also send their
> stock down a few pegs :-)

Yeah, I probably wont be sucessful until the atlantic has frozen over!
If i get some diggs it might raise the profile of this though..
http://digg.com/apple/Apple_Mac_OS_X_refund

> > My advice is don't bother.
>
> "Openness is not a cargo cult. Some get it, some don't. Apple doesn't."
> - http://diveintomark.org/archives/2006/06/02/when-the-bough-breaks
>
> > Apple hardware is:
> >
> >  1) VERY expensive,
> >  2) not upgradable/tweekable,
> >  3) not officially supported by Ubutnu
> >
> > The upshot of this is that:
>
> 0) It is very thin, 12-24 months before anyone else is selling laptops that
> thin

Sony X505 is almost as thin, and has a mass of 450g less!

> To me, the free software movement is very clear that _freedom_ is a
> more important primary value than the others. It always takes longer
> to get the other values to a similar level as any proprietary
> alternative while keeping our freedom.
>
> >  2) when you want to upgrade or repare you HAVE to use an apple
> >     registered repair shop using official apple parts
>
> Laptops are generally more finicky about upgrades though, so I'm not
> sure how specific this is to Apple.

Kubuntu has significant issues with my Dell laptop too..
http://jguk.org/2007/11/ubuntu-killed-my-laptop.html

I tried again last night with 7.10, i put /boot on a USB stick, and
the GRUB on the MBR of that USB stick. GRUB appeared, but nothing
would boot, couldn't find the kernel from external USB root drive.. I
had though putting /boot on the USB stick it would have found that at
least.. or maybe I need to munge the device table or something..? The
USB devices were all connected in the same order that worked in the
installer.

GRUB couldn't even load MS-Windows off the main drive, I had to unplug
the USB drive and USB stick to get it to do anything. Flakeyness like
this is what puts people off, all my friends want to try GNU+Linux,
but if it can't dual boot on a laptop they're not interested.

> >  3) all manner of subtle things will break with Ubuntu because the
> >     hardware simple doesnt get as tested as regular i368 machines.
>
> My experience is that most Apple users run Mac OS X and then run
> GNU+Linux and Windows virtualised; with paravirtualisation, there is
> no noticeable loss of speed, and it makes whole-filesystem backups
> convenient and so on. (A G5 isn't powreful enough to do this though)

Good points.

Cheers, Jon