Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Freedom to take freedom

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Freedom to take freedom
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:25:43 +0000

Alex Hudson <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 12:04 +0000, Dave Crossland wrote:
> > If I release software with a license in LICENSE.txt and a TERMS.txt
> > that says "You can only use this on Mondays" - it is not free
> > software, and you can receive it from me under those terms because I'm
> > the original licenor, but you can't redistribute it.
>
> Why can't I redistribute it?

Whether you can redistribute it depends on how 'impose' is interpreted.
You can't modify and redistribute it (so it's not free software) can you?
The GPL requires modifications to be under GPL (unless "this License" in
the GPL doesn't mean the GPL, somehow) and one can't satisfy 6, so can't
satisfy 2b, thanks to the extra terms.

Puzzled,