Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Freedom to take freedom

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Freedom to take freedom
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:47:25 +0000

I wasn't going to follow this up, but you raise good points...

On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 11:38 +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Maybe this is something else to ask address@hidden

I did briefly ask someone online about it yesterday. The basic response
was:

      * they're aware of the Red Hat font license issue;
      * they think it's free but GPL-incompatible;
      * they're talking to Red Hat about it.

I didn't delve specifically into the technicalities of how they reached
that conclusion, but I'm not sure I was talking to someone who was
involved with that discussion.

I got the sense that they were trying to persuade Red Hat to change the
license, but I suspect that's more likely to do with the perceived
GPL-incompatibility rather than the exception judo.

I'm actually quite interested in this exception stuff now though: these
potentially smells like a license incompatibility/proliferation
minefield, which potentially could affect a lot of free software
(including stuff I work on).