Liberation fonts - was Re: [Fsfe-uk] Accountants need MS file formats -

From: Jon Grant
Subject: Liberation fonts - was Re: [Fsfe-uk] Accountants need MS file formats - was Re: Mac OS X refund
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 15:30:25 +0000

Hi,

Dave Crossland wrote on 21/01/08 21:17:
On 21/01/2008, Jon Grant <address@hidden> wrote:
when I need to email an XLS or DOC to
someone it arrives and the Bitstream Vera Sans comes out as some
horrid "Comic Sans MS" font, so I get lots of queries about that.

Eventually because of these failings of OpenOffice I'm reluctantly
forced to install the MS fonts too

Red Hat solved this with the Liberation fonts that have "metric
compatibility" with Arial and Times New Roman.

This is great news! I've not heard of these Liberation fonts. The question has to be if OpenOffice will support exporting Liberation -> MS font names. As OO doesn't manage to export "URW Gothic L" (which looks like Tahoma) as MS's Tahoma, just comes out in some Comic font.

Hope the Liberation fonts get added to Ubuntu soon.. although they strike me as being similar to "Bitstream Vera Sans" that I use at the moment on Kubuntu.

Kind regards, Jon