Re: [Fsfe-uk] Petition to pass around

From: Ian Lynch
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Petition to pass around
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 09:46:59 +0000

On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 09:18 +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Ian Lynch <address@hidden> wrote:
> > http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/nonMSschools/
>
> Various LUGs are criticising the wording of this, but I think it's
> broadly a good idea.  There's also
> http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/gcserealcomp
> which is more general but could still support FOSS in a big way:
>
>   "We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Expand the GCSE
>   curriculum to include a "real" computing skills course."

We already have a GCSE equivalent course/qualification that requires
students to learn some HTML, take part in community projects and learn
about Open Systems and FOSS. Since we are making headway in Malaysia and
several EU countries partly helped by EU grants, rather than trying to
change the government attitude to GCSE which is a minority IT
qualification in English schools in any case, back the INGOTs from grass
roots with viral marketing and we bypass GCSE and the politics
altogether!
--
Ian
Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications