fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] DFEY - Logo Competition - Cash Prizes

From: Simon Ward
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] DFEY - Logo Competition - Cash Prizes
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 00:13:03 +0100

On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 11:42:28PM +0100, Tim Dobson wrote:
> So some people have suggested using CC Attribution or Attribution
> Sharealike...
>
> Having a logo licenced under these clearly becomes unworkable as the
> author of the logo needs to be credited on every letterhead, website,
> newsletter etc. […]

> It would be very difficult, on a badge with the logo on it for instance,
> to credit several people who had drawn and designed the logo.

Attribution under CC-by-sa allows for these circumstances.  In CC-by-sa
3.0 section 4(c) [my emphasis added]:

    “If You Distribute, or Publicly Perform the Work or any Adaptations
    or Collections, You must, unless a request has been made pursuant to
    Section 4(a), keep intact all copyright notices for the Work and
    provide, *reasonable to the medium or means You are utilizing* […]”

If you don’t think that is enough for you to be going with, you can
always ask the author to explicitly declare that it may be used without
attribution for small items where attribution is impractical, without
broadening it to just disregarding attribution for everything.

> You never see the FSF requiring you to attribute whoever
> drew their logo (and whoever subsequently modified it) every time it's
> used do you?

This is a bit of a straw man:  The FSF has shown on multiple occasions
that it does not give as much care, or to be utterly inconsistent in how
it supports things, as you might expect of the organisation with respect
to the freedoms involved with anything other than free software,
including (but not limited to) free artwork.  I would not quote the
actions of the FSF outside of the free software domain.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall