fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] DFEY - Logo Competition - Cash Prizes

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] DFEY - Logo Competition - Cash Prizes
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 10:41:58 +0100

Simon Ward <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 12:27:34PM +0100, Lucy wrote:
> > I'm not sure I'd seen that when I wrote my original email. However, it
> > still seems unnecessarily complicated and it's not always
> > possible/practical to get additional authorisation from the author. In
> > this instance I'm not sure what benefits attribution would bring?
>
> Attribution brings the usual recognition for the author, which is what
> some authors prefer.  [...]

Then it's up to the organisers to allow attribution if they struggle
to get enough decent entries.

Appealing to "you can always ask the author" for extra permissions
seems like trolling.  Why not let people enter "all rights reserved"
artwork? You can always ask the author for extra permissions, right?

FWIW, I feel that almost all CC licences are ambiguous and impractical
for everything and we're storing up trouble for the future by
accepting them, much less promoting them.  Just look at the confusion
over DRM/TPM/DReaM, or the practical meaning of NC clauses. CC seem to
have the downsides of the GPL (fairly long and user-hostile legal
text) without most of the upsides (reducing licence proliferation,
near-unambiguous pro-sharing message).

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef)