fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] google plan new OS?

From: Chris Rogers
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] google plan new OS?
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 16:16:40 +0100

Hi,

What are your opinions on the announcement that Google is to create a
netbook\desktop open-source OS to compete with MS?

Aidy

I think it's excellent news. It's going to be open source, based on the Linux kernel according to some, although the BBC news item above and Google's own blog at http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html don't mention Linux at all. But Google's Engineering Director _is_ called Linus. :o)

It's the best hope yet to break the MS stranglehold on the PC. IBM didn't manage it with OS/2, probably because of the PS/2 architecture and their licensing approach. Apple didn't manage it, possibly because their OS is so tightly linked to their own hardware but also because it's expensive gear. Linux is gaining ground but very slowly, partly, I feel, because it's so fragmented, with dozens of different distros.

To quote the Google blog, "We are going back to the basics and completely redesigning the underlying security architecture of the OS so that users don't have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates. It should just work." That's exactly what most users want. A toaster, to use someone else's analogy.

If Google can apply their muscle to the problem, including getting manufacturers like Canon to write non-Windows device drivers for their products, it's going to be in with a chance.

Chris