fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] google plan new OS?

From: Paul Waring
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] google plan new OS?
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 16:51:08 +0100

aidy lewis wrote:
What are your opinions on the announcement that Google is to create a
netbook\desktop open-source OS to compete with MS?

Are they really developing an OS? "Google Chrome running within a new windowing system on top of a Linux kernel" sounds like they're just creating a new windowing system, which isn't the same as an operating system. I'm also curious about the claims that it will run on x86 and ARM - if they're using Linux as the kernel then that already does run on those two architectures (amongst many others).

I'm struggling to work out what the big deal is here...

Paul

--
Paul Waring
http://www.pwaring.com