ftpsync

Re: [Ftpsync] Backchecking ftpsync 1.3.07 release

From: Christoph Lechleitner
Subject: Re: [Ftpsync] Backchecking ftpsync 1.3.07 release
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 22:55:22 +0100

Am 2013-02-04 22:25, schrieb Ole Tange:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 7:32 PM, Christoph Lechleitner
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi there!
>>
>> As You might have noticed I've introduced a FTPS variant, ftpsync-ssl,
>> as "experimental" FTPS support.
>
> Yes. I understand that the CPAN SSL module is a bitch. I am wondering
> if we could include a working CPAN module with ftpsync, so that we
> would use our own?

I have little experience with CPAN, and none with the creation of "real"
Perl modules (I have never needed more than a couple functions includes
as /usr/share/lib/foo-lib.pl or so).

>> Today I actually detected a server that actually needs a sleep between
>> each PUT, and it even needs more than the 100ms You introduced recently.
>
> How much delay did you need?

A recently created cronjob of a hosting customer synchronizes a flat
directory with ~300 files to a rather picky FTP server.

When using the 100ms interval, the upload dies after about 25 files.

I then went straight to a full second (1000 ms), and all ~300 files got
uploaded smoothly.

In this case, nightly cronjob with rather stable number of files
changing rather seldomly, there's no rush and I will just leave it at
1000 ms.

> I would much rather have the default configuration be stable and slow
> than fast and unreliable.

Well, prior to this recent occurence I never required any pause.

And this one server is weird for other reasons too, I think the admins
there are two levels more paranoid than I am.

>> Therefore I introduced a new config parameter, slowmillis, which
>> defaults to 100 your ms.
>
> Fine.
>
>> So now I'd actually like release ftpsync 1.3.07.
>
> Go ahead.

Will do.

>> Is it ok if I stay with our deb.clazzes.org and download.clazzes.org for
>> now?
>> (In this case, I can release a debian package to deb.clazzes.org and a
>> tarball release to http://download.clazzes.org/ftpsync/ within a few
>> seconds.)
>
> Yes.
>
> Can we have http://sourceforge.net/projects/ftpsync/ point towards
> http://www.gnu.org/software/ftpsync/ ? The content will be fixed when
> FTPsync is GNU approved.

I'll try ;-)

Either setting the project homepage or using a index.pl or index.html
triggering a Redirect should be possible.

>> In the long term, how can we fill http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/ftpsync/ ?
>
> I believe my upload procedure for GNU Parallel can be re-used. If you
> want to do the upload you need to be an approved release at gnu.org,
> so it might be easier if I just do that.

OK.

Regards, Christoph