g-wrap-dev

building g-wrap with guile installed in a nonstandard prefix

From: gregory benison
Subject: building g-wrap with guile installed in a nonstandard prefix
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 12:59:25 -0700

Given that there are now two major versions of guile in common use, I think it is worthwhile to make it as easy as possible to build, test, and use g-wrap using any guile interpreter, even one installed in a non-standard prefix or one called something other than 'guile' ( guile-1.8, for example).

My guile-1.6 is installed with prefix /usr , and my guile-1.8 is installed with prefix /opt.
I can build g-wrap against guile-1.8 using:

$srcdir/configure PATH=/opt/bin:$PATH

Everything builds fine except 'make check' fails-- the g-wrap libraries are linked against libguile from guile-1.8, but the tests invoke the guile interpreter as simply 'guile', which finds the guile-1.6 interpreter in /usr/bin, which then segfaults when it tries to use the g-wrap libraries.  It is possible to replace all calls to plain 'guile' in the g-wrap source tree with calls to the autoconf variable @GUILE@, which points to the correct interpreter wherever it is installed (and under whatever name).

I have made a patch regarding this issue in my branch of g-wrap, located at:
address@hidden/g-wrap--benison--0--patch-12

available from my archive at:

http://oregonstate.edu/~benisong/archives/2006

I have also made a changeset (attached), against:
address@hidden/g-wrap--devo--2.0

--

Gregory Benison