gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Reminder: FOSDEM 2012 – cal l for devroom talks

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Reminder: FOSDEM 2012 – cal l for devroom talks
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 09:19:21 +0100

On 19.01.2012 08:39, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
On Monday, January 16, 2012 21:58 CET, Riccardo
Mottola<address@hidden>  wrote:
Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
I have the proposed list put up in a html page.
https://www.l00-bugdead-prods.de/Presentation/index.html

Great page, although having it as https is somewhat annoying as I don't want to set a permanent exception for this site. Looks like you don't need any help with that presentation, it is better prepared than any I ever did.

Fred also offered to help out with the presentation.
That is cool. Perhaps he knows more about FlexiSheet which should
be at least roughly presented. Getting help to work on it, complete
it and complete its porting would be extremely cool.
Some of the links go to pages which don't have an extension,
therefore the plain html is shown. This is because I mirrored
wiki.gnustep.org and some of the pages just don't have an
extension. But this works well when opening the files locally.
Yes, I noticed that.

It would be really great if we could get the vespucci issue
resolved. Presenting GNUstep apps, I think it would be cool, to
use a GNUstep browser to do that ;)
I can't reproduce it.

Yesterday I found on another notebook, with a slightly older SVN
version of gnustep, that Vespucci works, showing me the images, so
its a regression somewhere introduced. I'll now only need to find out
which of those changes caused the problem. So I make some progress
here, slowly but at least some progress ;)

I tried to reproduce this problem and recompiled SWK and Vespucci (both with updated code) on my 64bit OpenSuse 12.1 machine and images get displayed. Which backend are you using? I am using cairo. Do images get displayed correctly by other GNUstep applications? And which web pages are you trying to display? I tried www.gnustep.org, is there any other out there :-)

Further, the list of applications. Did I missed something
important that should be mentioned? I wanted to add Cenon to the
Image applications too. Fred was talking about adding CoreBreach
to the Games. I only run OpenBSD, therefore cannot show it, but
If Fred could take install it on his notebook and shortly show
it, and talk a bit about it, what improvements in -base and -gui
were done to get it to work, that would also be good.

So Fred, could you maybe present CoreBreach on your notebook?

My old Apple laptop is slowly dying, I wont be able to get Linux to work
on it in a virtual machine to display CoreBreach and showing CoreBreach
on MacOSX is probably not what we want.

Do I have applications in the list that you think I could skip,
not worth mentioning?
perhaps yo ucan show that ome exist, but don't take the time to
present them really if you are tight. I am thinking of zipper, of
the cd play app, remote desk... affiche.

Yeah, RemoteDesk I cannot show, cause don' t have a Windows host
where to connect to ;) CD Player and Affiche, I'll mention, need to
think about whether I will show them. With regard to Zipper, there
will be an extra mail coming shortly.

So far, I updated all GAP pages, made sure, that they all have
the same look n feel, and for some, I added some more infos. If
someone could review it, check whether there is important info
missing, would be good if it could be updated. I also started to
update some pages in wiki.gnustep.org for apps I want want show.

I also started approaching some developers of other applications
not hosted at GAP. Asking them for their future plans of their
applications. So hope to get some feedback to not only talk about
the state of the art, but also give an outlook for the future.

I got some valuable feedback so far from Dirk Olmes (Zipper),
Philippe Roussel (SimpleAgenda), Lucas Schnorr (Paje), Andreas Schik
(Burn, CDPlayer). From others, I'm still waiting, or still need to
approach them.

Therefore, for GAP apps, and the general GNUstep apps, someone
has plans/news that should be spreaded ;)

For GAP: I think, after a new gnustep core release, there will be
some updates coming, Riccardo has some stuff in the queue.
Further, probably NeXTGo should also get an update, since the
actual release doesn't build with strict gnustep make 2.0.
Remember me that I shall release :) ANd we can have a look at next
go, I thought CVS was fixed? I think to remember tinkering around
it.
Yes, CVS is fixed, and builds with current gnustep releases, but
doesn't seem to work. The CVS version only needs one little patch in
a GNUMakefile to make it compile on OpenBSD. It links againt
-lcrypto, but this doesn't exist on OpenBSD. I know how to fix that,
but did not had time to do so yet.

NextGo works for me, but play horribly bad, not having played the game in ages I still won. There must be a serious bug there.

Further, PictureFrame has some flaws, i.e. the cluttered menu,
and the weatherService doesn't work. Also Ladder doesn't work for
me, it starts, but I never managed to start a game, it doesn't
take my mouse input. I feel ignored ;)

Does PictureFreame or Ladder work for you?

Another idea I got why playing with Vespucci: Nearly all GNUstep
applications don't have a working help. I question why? I guess
creating rtf documents is not that easy? At least for me, this is
true. But creating html pages is easy, just fire up the preferred
text editor, and start typing.
the help viewer app... where did it go? what happened to it? I
remember it many years ago and looked quite next-ish. Perhaps it
should be cleaned up and get official into usr-apps in gnustep

Oh, I'm not aware of this help viewer app at all, sounds
interesting.

When the image problem may be fixed, and there would be a 0.1
release of SWK, and a 0.1 release of Vespucci. Then I got the
idea, that the help button could call a service open URL and
point to local help html files. Creating nice looking html files
is fairly easy. Making it easy to generate help documentation,
wold probably encourage more people to create some at all. Maybe
need some talking to Nikolaus about a SWK release.
We have a problem with text input fields. Fred hat a short glance
and wrote me and Nikolaus an email, but i don't know how to reply
:)

Yeah, saw your mails, and the fix, so hope this is working now.

I am going to fix the NSCell bug today.

Fred