gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune: song inspector without title bar

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune: song inspector without title bar
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 14:57:55 +0200

On 05/04/12 14:49, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:

On Friday, May 4, 2012 14:32 CEST, Riccardo Mottola<address@hidden>  wrote:

On 05/04/12 12:08, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
On Friday, May 4, 2012 11:55 CEST, Riccardo Mottola<address@hidden>   wrote:

Hi,

On 05/03/12 12:38, Andreas Schik wrote:
Hi,
I am using Cynthiune on Linux (Ubuntu 10.04) w/o major problems so far.
Even the new ALSW backend worked w/o any hassle :-) Thanks.
The only issue I have so far is with the song inspector. It comes
completely w/o window decorations. I observed this on xfce and GNOME,
while on WindowMaker the title bar was there. After digging for a while,
I found that the gorm bundle does not set the NSTitledWindowMask flag
for the panel. I don't know why, though. I also don't know about the nib
bundle. Is there any way to fix that w/o having to recreate the gorm bundle?
The window should be fine.

I tried the Alsa backend on debian/linux/ppc on my iBook and I just get
garbage-sounding output when I play files. (mpg123 works...). I didn't
try OSS because I have a minimal install and don't have the OSS
compatibilty layer...
On my x86 though it works.
IIRC, PowerPC is big endian, and there may be more a problem in the MP3 decoder
than with the output plugin? But I'm just guessing. I can probably try on the
weekend
or maybe even later today, on my OpenBSD macppc notebook.

Ok, do some tests.. although this is linux here. PPC is big endian on
macs. I also have a sparc machine, but it is slow and has no sound output.
Big or Little endian is Processor dependent, so its for any OS running there
the same.
yes/no: some processors can be big endian depending on the architecture... some can even switch depending on the OS (there were certain MIPS machines capable of that).

In this case I was just referring to the fact that I was using ALSA, which you don't have on OpenBSD :)

My sparcstation 5 also doesn't have sound. But I just got a sparcbook 3GX from
ebay \o/ Unfortunately, without HDD, nor do I have a 26Pin AUI Adapter yet, to
be
able to connect it to the network to let it boot from the network.
So it will take some time before I can do tests on that machine.

For the time being, the macppc has to suffice ;)
yes, indeed :) I envy your sparcbook!

I have a PPC machine, a 9600, which was a very nice machine back then. I don't use it since ages, it used to run NetBSD, but I wlays had trouble with it, with the need to patch kernels to get its dual-scsi setup working with certain disks, etc... and I don't know if the sound chip was supported. Maybe time for a revamp? Or pass it to OpenBSD ? :)

Riccardo