gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune -- MusicBrainz support

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune -- MusicBrainz support
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 17:17:52 +0200

Hi,

Yavor Doganov wrote:
Yep, please keep it going. The Debian freeze is supposed to be in effect in ten days, and anything we can get in before that date is very likely to end up in the next stable release.
Ok, let's keep up the good work.

I hope I do not need to open a debian bug report for each one to get
it updated :)
There's no need, I started to update them.  Already done
SimpleAgenda/0.42.2, BatMon/0.6, RSSKit/0.3, Grr/0.9.0 (soon to be
obsolete :-)) and I'm currently working on Zipper.  (BTW, there's a
bug reported against zipper.app that I either don't understand or
can't reproduce (http://bugs.debian.org/bug=315272).)
I can't reproduce it either, perhaps it is no longer valid with current gnustep: if i manually type in a different path, the "ok" button gets automatically disabled.

Nexto on the list are PDFKit, RSSKit+Grr and Cynthiune.
PDFKit is a no-op for Debian, because of the security problems in
xpdf's code.  It took quite some time to get rid of the many embedded
xpdf sources, and now there's only the xpdf (the viewer) package which
is patched to use poppler.  I'm fairly confident that the Debian FTP
masters will REJECT PDFKit.
It is not crucial, it is only used for the inspector. I don't think popplerkit is in any way really superior to xpdf. xpdf got segurity updates since years ago there was all the fuss about it. Also license-wise popplerkit is just an "evolution" of xpdf itself and thus encumbered by the same problem. A clean, compact, fast PDF library with GPLv3 compatible license is an open issue.

Thus, for now, I will just continue to support xpdf and ignore rejects.

What I would really wish is to make the "bridge" use the installed PDF library and not incorporate the code. But almost no distirbutions installs the xpdf library, only the complete binary.

Everything is suboptimal, but it works well enough for the goal right now.

I'm delaying GWorkspace as I want to test it extensively.
Fine. You skipped one whole release anyway. I hope 0.9.1 will work and copile fine for you. In the extreme case, we could work on current and generate patches.
For Terminal, I'm going to write to Gürkan about his stance regarding
upstream.  Next on my list are GNUMail, MPDcon and eventually AClock
(with Gürkan's consent), and at the end the games, if there's time.
Yes, they are less important. I don't now if there is a lusernet package? in case, I have updates for that one to make it work against current stuff. GNUMail and Pantomime are in flux with German Adrias, but there is currently the authetnication problem, wlse I'd see it fine for a release.

Riccardo