gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Zipper and 7zip

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Zipper and 7zip
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 17:36:07 +0200

On Thursday, July 5, 2012 20:49 CEST, Riccardo Mottola <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> does extracting 7zip archives work for you? Today I tried the first time.
>
> I use p7zip and use the excutable "7z".
>
> All files show in the Zipper window correctly.
>
> I have a (fairly big, so i can't share it with you) archive which has
> two directories full of files. If I extract it using "Extract" I get
> "Skipped" for most files and then I end up with only one directory
> containing only one file....
>
> if I use "7z X filename.7z" I get everything perfect, so the archive is
> fine.

I can reproduce that. And I think I found a reason for it. When opening
the 7z file, then the last file in the archive is marked.
So its only extracting files that are marked. So far, I think that is fine.
When going to extract,
it will skip all files but the last file. I added a NSLog statement to figure
that out:

2012-07-09 17:23:19.714 Zipper[24180] run 7z: (x, "-y", "-o/tmp",
"/tmp/yay.7z", "ModelRailroad/Rocrail/rocview/icons/zoomout.png")

The zoomout.png file is the last one in the archive.
When you mark a couple of files, then it will extract all of the marked files.

But I found a different, or more exactly, two bugs in it:

I have a file in the archive called:
'ModelRailroad/Rocrail/rocview/svg/themes/DB/signaldistant -2.svg'
This one shows up in the list as just:
-2.svg

so the first bug is that the output parser of the 7zip doesn't quite well
handle spaces in file names.

the second bug then shows up when trying to extract that, I get:

2012-07-09 17:32:18.371 Zipper[24180] run 7z: (x, "-y", "-o/tmp",
"/tmp/yay.7z", "-2.svg")

Error:
Incorrect command line

So, it just hands over the -2.svg to the7z binary, which thinks it might be an
option, which it isnt.
So it should somehow escape the file names.

Then, I was unable to use Alt-A or Ctrl-A to mark all files in the archive.
This I think is not really a bug, but a usability annoyance.

Looking into it now.

Sebastian