gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] FYI: CDPlayer with libcdio support

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] FYI: CDPlayer with libcdio support
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 19:52:21 +0200

 Hi,

On Thursday, June 7, 2012 12:26 CEST, Andreas Schik <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 07.06.2012 um 12:14 schrieb Riccardo Mottola <address@hidden>:
>
> > Hi Andreas,
> >
> > I got your last email too, strange.
> See my last mail.
>

> > Andreas Schik wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >> I have managed in the last days to make CDPlayer work with libcdio and
> >> friends, at least in a rudimentary manner.
> >> Currently I encounter different problems:
> >> - interrupted data streams, i.e. the player stops playing after a couple
> >> of minutes
> >> - the display being not in sync with the actual playing
> >> - most probably others I have not come across, yet
> >>
> >> Why do I port this here? Mainly for two reasons:
> >>
> >> 1. I am using the Cnthiune output module system. This way I do not have
> >> to duplicate this code. CDPlayer simply loads the *.output modules from
> >> Cynthiune's bundle folder and uses them.
> >>
> > This is cool Since we are "fixing" those modules, I hope you can benefit of
> > those and their portability. The drawback is that they are still a bit
> > rudimentary.
> So far I did not encounter major problems neither with OSS nor with ALSA (I'm
> on linux). As their interfaces for The preference views are basically the
> same as for CDPlayer's built in modules (apart from the naming), it was not
> even a problem to integrate those.
>

> >> 2. For the time being, I at least will not try to integrate that into
> >> Cynthiune. Mainly, because I have no time, but I am also lacking a good
> >> idea of how to integrate that into Cynthiune's GUI.
> >> I also need CDPlayer's services (for Burn and an auto-mounting/-playing
> >> helper I have written). So, replacing CDPlayer by Cynthiune would be too
> >> much effort for me.
> > I think it is perfectly fine to have the two application separate for the
> > time being. This allows us to refine Cynthiune to be more mature
> > independently. I would not like to make Cynthiune a "monstrum" which burns
> > cd's and other things. Although in the future thinking about burning MP3's
> > and ripping
> > Sharing code and finding a way to integrate them in the future with
> > services or playlists without merging the applications might make sense
> > though.
> That is actually not the intention. Currently, I can use DnD between CDPlayer
> and Burn to burn CD tracks (the same goes for files when using GWorkspace).
> CDPlayer also offers services to automatically play CDs or retrieve the TOC.
> What I meant was that these possibilities would need to be implemented in
> Cynthiune, if it was to replace CDPlayer.
> Apart from Cynthiune's GUI, I also have no real idea of how to impose the
> file centric approach to handling CDs. That's another point why I currently
> don't want to implement CD support into Cynthiune.

I only came around today to test this. I have Cynthiune from CVS, same with
CDPlayer.
gnustep core libraries are the latest releases.
But I did not had much luck. CDPlayer compiled fine, but then the player window
stays white. I cannot do anything with it, and also in the menu, I cannot click
anything.

Then, I set the default:
CDPlayer Device /dev/cd0c
On startup, I hear the CD in the drive doing a bit, but still, the CDPlayer
window stays white.

Sebastian