gap-dev-discuss

[Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune on Mac

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune on Mac
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 15:42:49 +0200

Hi,

I was able to get Cynthiune working on Panther (Mac 10.3). The old project was for Jaguar 10.2 and I had to upgrade the whole project to XCode. It now works on Tiger 10.4 too, I don't have and use newer stuff. I may try my luck on my old G3 with 10.2 again :) The pain is to get the dependency libraries working.

I did not build all bundles, just the essentials (audiofile, MP3, ID3 tag and audio output). The good thing is that I can thus test the interface, the palylist stuff and those things on Cocoa and see how they behave, since we had problems with them on GNUstep.

I got the stuff compiling weeks ago, but I had problems with the endianness: the Core Audio output bundle had to be upgraded like we did with all the other ones. It works for me now on my trusty iBook! Sometimes I get hangs when changing songs with different formats, I did not investigate further. I find it cool to have a player that works on older Macs too, but our primary platform is GNUstep.

To get things compiling, I had to apply the attached patch. What do you think? Does it impact other platforms? It is reasonably harmless.

Accepted that, what do you think about a release? I don't think we have any major issues left. Musicbrainz perhaps? I don't build it myself. GNUstep only I guess, the Mac version refers to installed libraries. I don-t know if it is enough to copy them inside the resources, I might try and anyway I can't produce a Universal Binary.

Riccardo