gap-dev-discuss

[Gap-dev-discuss] Pantomime with CoreBase

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: [Gap-dev-discuss] Pantomime with CoreBase
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 13:35:30 +0200

Hi,

I was investigating a lot of the #if(n)def MACOSX in Pantomime and found that
many (most) deal with CoreFoundation on the Mac.
Since GNUstep now has CoreBase, I thought about hey, it would be a good idea to
reduce differences between Mac and
GNUstep, in order to figure out, why GNUMail behaves differently on those
systems.

So started with CWService.m, trying to use CoreBase but it failed immediately,
since it uses CFSocket and CFRunLoop classes.
Those are not yet implemented in CoreBase 0.1. I contacted Stefan, and told him
about this problem, and was asking
about his TODO list, when this is planned to be implemented. He said, CFRunLoop
is planned for 0.2 and CFSocket for 0.3,
and he is actually working on CFRunLoop. But then in a second mail, he wrote,
getting an important consumer for
CoreBase like GNUMail, he may change the priorities and may implement the
missing pieces first.

I waded through Pantomime, and really only found it using CFSocket and
CFRunLoop, and in NSString+Extensions.m its using CFString.
Since CFString is implemented in CoreBase, I changed the #ifdef MACOSX there,
and Pantomime happily compiled with
CoreBase.

Now, GNUMail starts up, but when I enter an IMAP folder, its now crashing :(
One bug I found I think, its just an off-by-one in a buffer, but another one
seems to be lurking there.
I sent him my gdb output and the like, so hope he knows what's going wrong.

Anyways, i see some advantages for both, CoreBase and Pantomime/GNUMail, when
GNUMail would make use
of CoreBase:
 * CoreBase gets a real consumer, and Stefan gets feedback how things are
working, keeping his motivation up ;)
 * Pantomime gets rid of a lot of #ifdefs hopefully making it easier for us to
debug differences between GNUstep environment and MacOSX.

Are there any objections going that route?
I can send the patches that I have so far for review/testing. I.e. removing the
#ifdefs in NSString+Extensions.m
if there is interest.

cheers,
Sebastian